So this past weekend my family took a weekend getaway to Table Rock State Park in upstate South Carolina. It was an incredible weekend, very relaxing and very little cell service. It was the perfect way to wind down after a stressful and busy work week. On the way home we decided where we are going to go for our weeklong vacation this year to celebrate my brother graduating from Clemson. Thus leading to this Friday’s five-my five favorite vacation destinations!
1. DISNEY WORLD! Not many people I know can say they have been to Disney World 9 times since they were 3 years old. Even less can say that is where they chose to go when they graduated from high school. But yes, both of those describe me! It is my family’s absolute favorite destination. Until our past 2 trips we have not stayed within the resort, but I definitely recommend it! While, it does cost extra-it is well worth it. From the “Extra Magic Hours” in the parks, to the free transportation-Disney does it right. They also have different hotels for different budgets. The parks themselves, also, have something to offer to everyone. They have rides for the amusement park enthusiasts and shows for the more relaxed theme park visitors. It’s truly a “one size fits all” destination.
2. Cruise! This is a tough one right now with everything that has happened recently with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. It’s also tough because I was one of the lucky people who got the norovirus on our trip. Setting all of that aside it was one incredible trip! We went on Royal Caribbean’s Mariner of the Seas, which was beautiful by itself! Leaving at the beach I love the water and spending a week on the water sounds like heaven to me! I made some great friends while on the trip, had some freedom to do what I wanted to do while my parents and brother did what they wanted. It was a very freeing trip! I also loved visiting St. Thomas! I would love to go back and stay at just St. Thomas for a week or even go see St. Martine since that was the part of the trip I missed out on.
3. Massanutten/Washington, D.C. – I don’t remember how old I was when we went on this trip, but I do remember that I want to go back. We stayed in Virginia in the mountains and took a day trip to D.C. There was so much to see and do that we couldn’t possibly get it all done in a single day. I loved the history and life that the city brought, without having to be in it all week-long. Staying at Massanutten allowed us to spend some time fishing and swimming and just relaxing as a family.
4. Pawleys Island – so this one seems a little weird to write since I live here now, but my vacations to the beach are some of my favorite memories! Each year my dad’s side of the family would all stay in a beach house, usually in Litchfield, for a week together. We would get up each morning and go to the beach, take a break for lunch/naps, go back out for a little while, take showers, and do whatever the plan was for the night. Each night was something different. One night would be eating at Lee’s Inlet Kitchen followed by putt-putt and ice cream. Another night would be spent going to the Pavilion. Another night would be fireworks on the beach. And of course it wouldn’t be a beach trip without some ghost crab hunting!
5. Mountains/Lake – I combined these two because we do very similar things when we go to each place. Finding a little cabin to stay in for the getaway with no intention of leaving, unless by boat. Usually the locations are secluded from actual towns and cell service is spotty. This makes it ten times more relaxing! Make sure to bring along your favorite board games and ingredients for s’mores! My favorites have been Lake Santee in SC, Nantahala River Valley, and this past weekend at Table Rock! Be sure to check out my pictures from this weekend here!
What are your favorite vacation destinations? Do you prefer going somewhere or having a staycation?